Read Across America - March 2011
Delsea HS Celebrates Reading on Dr. Seuss'
Celebration March 2001 Celebration March 2002 Celebration February / March
Celebration February / March 2004 Celebration Feb./March 2005 March 2006 March 2007 March 2008 March
literacy and help to provide FREE books to children by clicking on this
NOTE: CLICK ON THE UNDERLINED LINKS TO VIEW THE PICTURES.
- 9th graders set up activity stations
in the media center and in 9th
grade classrooms for the elementary students.
- 2nd graders from Janvier and Aura School attended Reading Fair on Friday, March
4. Reading was the main event.
- Storybook Characters: the
the Hat, Red Riding Hood, Prince Charming, Cinderella, Jasmine, Juliet, Spiderman, Minnie Mouse, Wonder Woman and Snow White visited with
students. Prince Charming and Mother Nature read their books. Prince Charming visits with students.
- 9th grade students help the
graders make hats. Even Ms. Moyer wears a
- The Cat-in-the-Hat visits with the
elementary students. Groups of characters get into
the act including Batman and SnowWhite.
- 9th graders from Ms.
Dolby's, Mrs. Jernegan's, Mrs. Melnyk's, class
books that they had written to the students.
- Library clerk, Mrs. Buck assists
- 9th Grade Teachers and the teachers from Janvier enjoyed
celebrating the event. Students show off their books.
- Books were written as part of
a Learn and Serve Project. Books will be displayed in the Franklin Township Public
Library during the summer 2009.
- 9th graders prepared Reading Activities
for elementary students. Everyone
was busy working on their activity.
- 9th graders decorated the rooms for
- Everyone pledged to become a
NEA Reader's Oath
- 9th graders assisted elementary students with
hatmaking. 2nd graders loved
- HS choral group shared song, "We Love Dr. Seuss." (Click on
link to hear the song.)
- Read 9th graders stories.
Preparation for Event
9th graders prepare their children's books. Picture
1 Picture 2 Picture 3 Picture 4
Graders Prepared Reading Activities: 9th graders produced reading activities for 2nd graders
based on 2nd graders favorite books.
Stinky Cheese Man Maze
Curious George Mad Lib
- Visit Seussville -
Locate coloring pages, recipes or play games such as Musical chairs.
- Art Junction -
Make a thinking cap as one of The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins
- How to Make a Pop-up Book - Directions for a very simple pop-up book.
- Kids at Random -
Includes Arthur, Berenstain Bears, Thomas the Tank, Junie B. Jones Activities.
- Make Your Own Book
- Step-by-step directions on creating different types of books.
- How to create a children's book - series of 10 lessons from National Library of Canada
Fun - Make Grinch crafts or color a Dr. Seuss bookmark.
- Visit NEA's Read Across
- The Grinch
Song - Listen to a variety of versions of the Grinch Song.
- Speakaboos - Online
Children's stories and activities. Students can listen, play games or parents can
record their voices reading.
SillyBooks.Net - Site provides a wealth of reading materials for
children. The books are animated and colorful and include music, sound
effects, and voices. As children follow along, the words are highlighted as
they are read aloud, providing hours of educational fun. In addition to the
books, children will find cartoons, music, puzzles, games, and jokes. The
Classroom section provides some lesson plans for teachers and other support
materials. Writing contests are also available, and the stories are
published on the site.
Children's Authors Websites
- DyAnne DiSalvo - Theme of
books, "Helping Neighborhoods, One Book At A Time." Ms. DiSalvo has
been instrumental in helping Delsea's 9th grade Children's Book Project
successful. Many thanks to her. Check out her page! And,
see Delsea students in
- Jan Brett's Webpage - Try
out her activity pages including activities for The Mitten or send a postcard.
- Visit with Arthur, D.W. and Francine by author, Marc Brown. Hear Arthur's songs, play games or
print out coloring pages.
- Read Dav Pilkey's jokes
and riddles or print out coloring pages for his books including Dogzilla.
- Explore with Clifford, the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell. Places to
visit include the beach, the doghouse, backyard and school.
- Like sports stories, science fiction or stories about a kid
becoming President? Then visit Dan Gutman's site
and try your hand at his puzzles or read an excerpt from one of his new books.
- Mem Fox's Webpage
- Filled with tips for how to read aloud and writing picture books as well as information
and activities related to her children's books.
- Visit the Dr. Seuss
Children's Digital Library - Contains a collection of full-text children's books.
The website's goal is to build a collection of children's books representing
historical and contemporary books from around the world to expose children to the
diversity of world cultures. Well organized and easy to navigate includes a variety
of ways to search for books including keyword, by location and by author/illustrator.
Project Worksheets to
Worksheet - Creating Puzzles for Children's
- PreWriting Story Map Guide
Reviewed and Updated 3/14/2011
Mary Moyer, School Library Media Specialist
Delsea Regional High School
Franklinville, NJ 08322
Webmistress, Mary Moyer
Return to Media Center Home
Return to Delsea Home Page